Thursday, May 3, 2012

Marriage Equality

When did society start labeling people as subhuman simply because of their sexual preference? What happened to the American ideal that "All men [and women] are created equal?" Last I checked, homosexuals are still human beings, not without emotions.

But I never used to think that way. I remember a time when I openly spoke out against homosexuals, judging and condemning them as sinful creatures bound for the fires of hell. I have lost friends over this belief. I told myself to forget about them, but deep down it hurt me that I could be so insensitive and inconsiderate regarding others feelings about the matter. That's when I studied the issue more closely.

*Note:This is an extremely difficult topic to tackle due to my fear of once again being inconsiderate. My past offenses incite me to choose my words carefully.

Although I still believe homosexuality is a choice, I've learned to not concern myself about what gays do with their personal lives. What John and Steve do in the privacy of their own home is their business.

After some serious study and deliberation about the subject, I've come to the conclusion that same-sex marriage should be legalized and states forced to recognize them. This would ensure basic civil rights for the homosexual community.

The federal government has no right, per the Constitution, to regulate marriage, let alone what kind of relationships people choose to have with each other. If there is, I would like someone to show me where specifically. Oh, and the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) doesn't count -- it's unconstitutional. Why? Because it defines marriage as between a man and woman, a power the Constitution does not grant the federal government. If anything, the power whether or not to allow same-sex marriage should be delegated to the states. But I'm also against this proposal. I favor ratifying an amendment into the Constitution repealing the DOMA, replacing it with the FOMA -- Freedom of Marriage Act.

Allow me to address three issues some of you may have with my opinion.

One: if you're arguing against same-sex marriage on religious grounds, may I remind you Americans are a diverse group of individuals. Although many of the religions practiced here in the United States frown upon homosexuality, remember there are also those who don't practice a religion. To be a free and equal society, we must be fair to everyone, as long as someone else's rights aren't inhibited. For example, if a group petitions the government to legalize cannibalism, obviously we cannot do that. It interferes with a citizen's right to life and security. However, when one argues that legalizing same-sex marriage will negatively influence our children and ruin the institution of marriage, we are interfering with their constitutional right. For some reason, religious people worry too much about society's influence. Umm... isn't a parent's job to teach their kids wrong from right? If you're worried about the influence of homosexuality on your kids, tell them why you think it's wrong. It's as simple as that. But never teach them to think less of someone because of it.

Also, to argue on the grounds of the "sanctity" of marriage would be idiotic. With over half of marriages ending in divorce, it's hard to prove your point. Some state that marriage is intended for the purpose of procreation, yet there are thousands, if not millions, of couples who choose not to have children or marry in their later years when they are biologically unable to do so.

Two: Regarding the issue of forcing the states to recognize same-sex marriage, how far do you think this country would've progressed if the federal government hadn't stepped in and passed landmark pieces of legislation known as the Civil Rights Act of 1964 & 1968, and the Voting Rights Act of 1965? You'd be right if you guessed many of the southern states would still have segregated schools and widespread discrimination. So what do you think would happen if we allowed the states to decide their own policy of same-sex marriage? You'd again be correct if you said that a majority of states would still discriminate against same-sex couples.

Three: It's not really an issue, more of a question. Why do you care? Why? Is Bob and Bill's, or Julie and Jessica's marriage really going to affect your life? "Oh my God! My life is ruined!".... Please! That's utterly ridiculous. Mind your own business. (If you're a conservative who believes in limited government, civil liberties and a strong adherence to the Constitution, yet don't support same-sex marriage, you seriously need to re-evaluate where you stand).

I have come a long way. I would have never called myself homophobic, but the more I look at what I believed, the more I see my former-friends are right. I was scared. I was wary of the moral implications. But that doesn't matter. It shouldn't. We are a nation of laws. Therefore, with the Constitution being the law of the land and not authorizing the federal government to define or regulate marriage, we must respect it and legalize same-sex marriage in the name of equality and civil rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment